Timothy M. Gill
Department of Sociology
Ph.D. University of Georgia
The University of Tennessee
919 McClung Tower
Knoxville, TN 37996-0490
Political Economy, Political Sociology, Theory, Globalization, Development
Tim Gill's research interests include political economy, political sociology, theory, globalization, and development. He completed a dissertation at the University in Georgia on U.S. democracy promotion efforts in Venezuela under Socialist President Hugo Chávez. He is currently turning his dissertation into a book manuscript under contract with University of Pittsburgh Press titled Encountering U.S. Empire in Socialist Venezuela: The Legacy of Race, Neo-Colonialism, and Democracy Promotion. He is also the editor of the edited volume The Future of U.S. Empire in the Americas: The Trump Administration and Beyond out with Routledge Press. He has published in academic outlets such as Sociological Forum, Sociology of Development, Journal of World-Systems Research, and Social Currents, as well as public outlets including Washington Post, The Nation, Jacobin, Current Affairs, and Counterpunch.
- Gill, Timothy M. 2020. The Future of U.S. Empire in the Americas: The Trump Administration and Beyond. New York: Routledge Press.
- Gill, Timothy M. 2020. “Beyond the IFIs, Beyond USAID in Chavista Venezuela: Promoting the Free Market in the Middle-Income World,” Sociology of Development, forthcoming.
- Gill, Timothy M. 2019. “Shifting Imperial Strategies in Contemporary Latin America: The U.S. Empire and Venezuela under Hugo Chávez,” Journal of Historical Sociology 32(3): 294-310.
- Gill, Timothy M. 2019. “Politics, Human Rights, and Social Policy under Contemporary Populist Regimes: The View from Trump-America and Socialist Venezuela,” Irish Journal of Sociology 27(1): 80-87.
- Gill, Timothy M. 2018. “The Persistence of the Power Elite: Presidential Cabinets and Corporate Interlocks, 1968-2018,” Social Currents 5(6): 501-511.
- Gill, Timothy M. 2018. “The Possibilities and Pitfalls of Left-Wing Populism in Socialist Venezuela,” Journal of World-Systems Research 24(2): 304-313.
- Gill, Timothy M. 2018. “Sociological Theory and U.S. Foreign Policy in the 21st Century,”Current Sociology 66(1): 128-44.
- Gill, Timothy M. 2018. “From Promoting Political Polyarchy to Defeating Participatory Democracy: U.S. Foreign Policy towards the Far Left in Latin America,” Journal of World-Systems Research 24(1): 72-95.
- Gill, Timothy M. 2016. “The Venezuelan Government and the Global Field: The Legislative Battle over Foreign Funding for Nongovernmental Organizations,” Sociological Forum 31(1): 29-52.