Harry F. Dahms
Co-Director, Center for the Study of Social Justice
Co-Chair, Committee on Social Theory
Editor, Current Perspectives in Social Theory
Director, International Social Theory Consortium (ISTC)
Affiliated Faculty, University of Innsbruck, Austria
1993, Ph.D., New School for Social Research, New York
The University of Tennessee
913 McClung Tower
Knoxville, TN 37996-0490
Theory, economic sociology, political economy, and comparative sociology are my areas of interest. With "globalization" as a contingent, complex, and contradictory process providing the primary reference frame for my work, the guiding question is how classical, contemporary and critical theorists should have enabled (and compelled) sociologists during the twentieth century to anticipate globalization as the culmination of the trends that have been shaping modern societies. The defining challenge of our time, then, is to envision how all contributions to social, sociological, and critical theory tell parts of the story of the modern age.
- Social Justice and the University. Globalization, Human Rights, and the Future of Democracy, edited by Jon Shefner, Harry F. Dahms, Robert Emmet Jones, and Asafa Jalata (Houndmills Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014).
- Social Theories of History and Histories of Social Theory (Current Perspectives in Social Theory 31); Bingley, UK: Emerald, 2013 (editor).
- Theorizing Modern Society as a Dynamic Process (Current Perspectives in Social Theory 30); Bingley: Emerald, UK, 2012 (editor).
- The Diversity of Social Theories (Current Perspectives in Social Theory 29); Bingley: Emerald, UK, 2011 (editor).
- The Vitality of Critical Theory (Emerald, UK: June 2011)
- Theorizing the Dynamics of Social Processes (Current Perspectives in Social Theory) 27; Emerald (UK), (2010) (co-editor, with Lawrence Hazelrigg) .
- Nature, Knowledge, and Negation (Current Perspectives in Social Theory) 26; Emerald (UK), (2009) (editor) .
- No Social Science Without Critical Theory (Current Perspectives in Social Theory) 25; Emerald (UK), (2008) (editor) .
- Globalization Between the Cold War and Neo-Imperialism (Current Perspectives in Social Theory) 24; Emerald (UK), (2006) (special volume editor).
- Transformations of Capitalism: Economy, Society and the State in Modern Times, ed. (Palgrave and New York University Press, 2000).
Articles and Book Chapters
- "Conclusion: Barriers and Conduits to Social Justice—Universities in the Twenty-First Century" (with Eric Royal Lybeck), in Social Justice and the University. Globalization, Human Rights, and the Future of Democracy, edited by Jon Shefner, Harry F. Dahms, Robert Emmet Jones, and Asafa Jalata (Houndmills Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014), pp. 340-52.
- "Theorizing Europe as the Future of Modern Society: European Integration between Thick Norms and Thin Politics," Comparative Sociology 11 (5) 2012: 762-781.
- "Civil Society and the State in the Neoliberal Era: Dynamics of Friends and Enemies" (with Jon Shefner), Theorizing Modern Society as a Dynamic Process (Current Perspectives in Social Theory 30); Bingley: Emerald, UK, 2012, pp. 236-261.
- "Decoding Modern Society as the Realm of Alienation: The Matrix Trilogy and Contemporary Social Theory," Cinematic Sociology: Social Life in Film (2nd ed.), ed. by Jean-Anne Sutherland and Kathryn M. Feltey (Pine Forge Press, forthcoming).
- "Theodor W. Adorno," The Wiley-Blackwell Companion to Major Social Theorists, ed. By George Ritzer & Jeff Stepnisky, vol. 1: Chapter 18, pp. 448-468 (forthcoming, 2011).
- "Joseph A. Schumpeter," The Wiley-Blackwell Companion to Major Social Theorists, ed. By George Ritzer & Jeff Stepnisky, vol. 1: Chapter 14, pp. 559-581 (forthcoming, 2011).
- "Affinities between the Project of Dynamic Theory and the Tradition of Critical Theory: A Sketch", Theorizing the Dynamics of Social Processes, (Current Perspectives in Social Theory) 27; Emerald (UK), (2010), pp. 81-97.
- "Democracy", Globalization and Security. An Encyclopedia, ed. Honor Fagan and Ronaldo Munck (Westport, Conn.: Praeger, 2009), Vol. I, pp. 43-60.
- "Modernity", Globalization and Security. An Encyclopedia, ed. Honor Fagan and Ronaldo Munck (Westport, Conn.: Praeger, 2009), Vol. II, pp. 303-20.
- "How Social Science is Impossible Without Critical Theory: The Immersion of Mainstream Approaches in Time and Space," No Social Science Without Critical Theory, vol. 25 of Current Perspectives in Social Theory (Emerald, 2008): 3-61.
"Retheorizing Global Space in Sociology: Towards a New Kind of Discipline," The Spatial Turn. Interdisciplinary Perspectives , ed. Barney Warf and Santa Arias (London: Routledge, 2008): 88-102.
- "Confronting the Dynamic Nature of Modern Social Life," Soundings. An Interdisciplinary Journal, vol. 90. 3-4, Fall-Winter 2007: 191-205.
"Capitalism Unbound? Promise and Peril of Basic Income." Basic Income Studies 1 (1) 2006.
"THE MATRIX Trilogy as Critical Theory of Alienation: Communicating a Message of Radical Transformation," Transdisciplinary Journal of Emergence 3 (1) 2005: 108-24.
"Globalization or Hyper-Alienation? Critiques of Traditional Marxism as Arguments for Basic Income." Social Theory as Politics in Knowledge (Current Perspectives in Social Theory) 23 2005: 205-76.
"Does Alienation Have a Future? Recapturing the Core of Critical Theory." in The Evolution of Alienation: Trauma, Promise, and the Millennium, ed. L. Langman and D.K. Fishman (Rowman and Littlefield, 2005): 23-46.
"Sociology in the Age of Globalization: Toward a Dynamic Sociological Theory, Bringing Capitalism Back for Critique by Social Theory (Current Perspectives in Social Theory) 21 2002: 287-320.
"The Early Frankfurt School Critique of Capitalism: Critical Theory Between Pollock's 'State Capitalism' and the Critique of Instrumental Reason." The Theory of Capitalism in the German Economic Tradition. ed. P. Koslowski (Berlin: Springer, 2000), pp. 309-61 (disc.: pp. 362-67).
- "Alienation" -- "Commodification" -- "Creative Destruction," Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Globalization, ed. George Ritzer (ed.), (February 2012).
- "Alienation," Encyclopedia of Social Problems, ed. by Vince Parrillo (Thousand Oaks: Sage, 2008), pp. 40-2.
- "Historical Materialism" -- "Ideology" -- "Modernity," in: International Encyclopedia of Economic Sociology, ed. by Jens Beckert and Milan Zafirovski (Routledge, 2005).
- "Joseph A. Schumpeter"--"Lester F. Ward", in: Dictionary of Modern American Philosophers , ed. by John R. Shook (Thoemmes Press, 2005)
Work In Progress
- Modern Society as Artifice: Classical Sociology and the Dynamics of Alienation, Anomie, and the Protestant Ethic (Ashgate; Rethinking Classical Sociology series)
- A Dynamic Theory of Modern Capitalism. Schumpeter's Vision between Entrepreneurship and Socialism
- Joseph A. Schumpeter: The Bureaucratization of Business and Its Consequences. Essays in Translation (Editor)
- American Critical Theory. A Reader (Co-editor, with Steven P. Dandaneau and Allen R. Dunn)