Stephanie A. Bohon
Director of Graduate Studies
Associate Director of the Center for the Study of Social Justice
Ph.D. 1998 Pennsylvania State University
The University of Tennessee
907 McClung Tower
Knoxville, TN 37996-0490
Social and applied demography, new destination immigration, Latino migration, ethnic economies, and immigrant incorporation/adaptation
Dr. Bohon has been at the University of Tennessee since 2006. She received a Ph.D. in Sociology and Demography from Penn State in 1998. Her specialty areas include Demography, Immigration, Latino Sociology, Urban Sociology, and Quantitative Methodology. Dr. Bohon's most recent work examines the growth and needs of Latino migrants in the South, focusing on the difference between Latino migrant adjustment in traditional and emerging gateways.
- Sociological Research
- Population Issues
- Sociology of Urban Life
- Introduction to Sociology
- Community Sociology
- Research Methods in Sociology
- Survey Research Design
- New Urban Sociology
- Advanced Quantitative Methods
- Demographic Techniques
- Bohon, Stephanie A. and Meghan Conley. 2015. Immigration and Population. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Bohon, Stephanie A., Meghan Conley, and Michelle Brown. 2014. "Unequal Protection Under the Law: Encoding Racial Disparities for Hispanics in the Case of Smith v. Georgia." American Behavioral Scientist 58(14):1910-1926.
- Conley, Meghan and Stephanie A. Bohon. 2010. "The Spectrum's Other End: Solidarity and Distrust in a New Latino Destination" Journal of Latino-Latin American Studies, 3(4): 13-30.
- Bohon, Stephanie A. and Heather Macpherson Parrott.2010. "The Myth of Millions: Socially Constructing "Illegal" Immigration" in Cameron D. Lippard and Charles A. Gallagher (eds.) Being Brown in Dixie: Race, Ethnicity, and Latino Immigration in the New South. Boulder, CO: First Forum Press.
- Alzate, Mónica M., David P. Moxley, Stephanie A. Bohon, and Larry Nackerud. 2009. "The Influence of Perceived Health Status on Poor Women's Confidence in Leaving Welfare: Implications for Social Work." Social Work in Health Care 48: 57-75.
- Bohon, Stephanie A. 2009. "Georgia." In Mark Overmyer-Velazquez (ed.) Latino America. Greenwood, CT: Greenwood Press.Booklist's Editors' Choice winner for 2009
- Bohon, Stephanie A., Laura Gerard Massengale, and Audrey Jordan. 2009. "Mexican Self-Employment in Old and New Latino Places." In Fran Ansley and Jon Shefner (eds.) Global Connections and Local Receptions: New Latino Immigration in the Southeastern United States. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press.
- Borek, Erika and Stephanie A. Bohon. 2008. "Policy Climates and Reductions in Automobile Use." Social Science Quarterly, 89(5):1293-1311.
- Lowe, Laura, and Stephanie A. Bohon. 2008. "Specialized Social Work Education: The Case for Social Work with Offenders." Families in Society 89(2): 293-301.
- Bohon, Stephanie A, Katherine Stamps, and Jorge H. Atiles. 2008. "Transportation and Migrant Adjustment in Georgia." Population Research and Policy Review 27(3):273-291