New Directions in Critical Race and Ethnic Studies
April 27 – 29, 2017
Guidelines for Moderators
Your main job is to supervise the timing of the session and to facilitate discussion among audience and panelists.
- Start the session on time.
- Introduce the session.
- Monitor the clock. Each panelist has 15 minutes. (Panelists on a 5-paper panel have 12 minutes each.) Presenters who appear to be off-track for completion on time should be cautioned at intervals: such as with signs that read, "5 minutes" "2 minutes", "1 minute", and "Stop."
- You should sit in the front row of the audience, facing the presenters, while the presentations are in progress.
- Moderate audience participation when presentations are done.
- You may help facilitate discussion by identifying key points worthy of further analysis and discussion.